DET site, includes professional learning resources, teaching and learning content, policy and guidelines, web conferencing, teacher blogs. Visit FUSE


Digital curriculum resources from the Learning Federation. Search for resources matched to the Australian Curriculum. Visit Scootle

Why science?

If your students ever ask ‘what is the point of this?‘ or ‘why should I have to do science?’ this website and video might be of interest to you.   www.whyscience.co.uk

What it’s like to work as a young scientist.

Produced by the BBC. http://www.vega.org.uk/video/series/10.

Animals in the classroom

Changes to the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulations 2008 in December 2008 require the use of adult cephalopods (octopus, nautilus, cuttlefish and squid) and adult decapod crustaceans (lobsters, crayfish and crabs) in teaching and research to be approved by an Animal Ethics Committee. Yabbies (freshwater crayfish) are commonly held in schools and may be used for teaching purposes only if their use is first approved by an Animal Ethics Committee.

Comprehensive guidelines for the use of animals in schools have been provided by the Department of Education and Training:


Schools must hold a Scientific Procedures Licence from the Bureau of Animal Welfare if they wish to use animals as part of their teaching of scientific concepts, and must use an Animal Ethics Committee to review this animal use. The keeping of classroom pets is not considered to require licensing or AEC oversight, nor is the practice of animal husbandry as authorised by a Code of Practice. See www.dpi.vic.gov.au/animalwelfare for more information.

The DET holds a single licence that includes all government schools. Due to differences in administration, independent schools and CECV schools must apply to the Bureau of Animal Welfare for their own individual licences. The Victorian Schools Animal Ethics Committee (VSAEC) was established in 2005 by the Department of Education, Association of Independent Schools of Victoria and Catholic Education Commission of Victoria to service all registered schools in Victoria with a current Scientific Procedures Licence.

Dale’s Chemistry Videos- Helpful for remote learning

Download his Word version of the links here:

Y12 Chem Effect of temp change on equilibrium position

Y12 Chem Effect of conc on equilibrium position

Y12 Chem Reaction rate and temperature – thiosulfate

Y12 Chem Reaction rate and concentration – thiosulfate

Y12 Chem Reaction rate temp and conc – marble chips

Y9/10 science DNA extraction – strawberry

Y11/12 Biol DNA extraction from onion

Y12 Biol hand hygiene

Y12 Chem NO2 gas and pressure and temp changes

Y11 Chem Covalent lattice properties

Y12 Chem Electrolysis of aqueous solutions

Y12 Chem Titration technique (made 2002)

Y12 Chem Titration with Methyl Orange made 2002)

Y12 Chem Titration with Phenolphthalein (made 2002)

Y10 Reaction rate change in conc of HCl with marble chips.

Y10 reaction rate change in surface area of marble chip with HCl

Y10 reaction rate change in temp HCl and marble chips

Year 10 Reactivity of metal with HCl

Reactivity of Zinc with HCl

Chemistry Sodium acetate stalagmite

Chromatography of plant extract

Starch in leaves

Algae balls photosynthesis

Precipitation reactions

Suggest a link

If you would like to suggest a link to add to the STAV website, please contact STAV.